This tool eliminates the fuss of front wheel removal/installation for Ducatis with hollow 25mm axles. Use it as a drift to tap axle out and then the reverse side to install axle and align holes for compression damping adjustment. T-handle in end of tool allows rotation of axle to align axle hole.
Here are the instructions I use for this tool:.
For axle removal:
- Remove axle nut
- Loosen all 4 axle pinch bolts on fork legs
- Insert tool (as shown in top picture)
- Gently tap on tool with rubber mallet until enough of axle protrudes to grab
- Remove axle tool
- Pull axle the rest of the way out.
For axle installation
- Insert axle through fork legs/wheel/spacer assembly
- Align cutout in right fork leg with the notches in the tool
- Tap axle the rest of the way in by gently tapping on tool with a rubber mallet
- TIGHTEN PINCH BOLTS ON RIGHT FORK LEG (leg opposite where the axle nut goes).
- Axle tool is NOT intended to be used to hold the axle in position while tightening the nut. That’s what the pinch bolts are for.
- Install/tighten axle nut
- Tighten axle pinch bolts on left fork leg
Note1: Only use a rubber hammer when using this tool. If you use a hard hammer on the tool, you will mushroom the end and ruin the tool.
Note2: Will only work on 25mm axles. Will not work on 1098/1198/1199/Streetfighter 1098/MTS12000/Diavel/Panigale models with larger front axles.